Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2020

The Writing Process And You

When you sit down and begin to read a book, did you ever stop to think what it took to get the published novel into your hands? I know that before I became an author, I never really thought about it. I just open the book and devour the story before me. Well, I thought I would bring you into the writing process so the next time you sit down to read, you will be able to appreciate the story more.

It all begins with a story idea. Stories can come to an author's mind at any time and I do mean any time. I have even had ideas pop into my head as I sit relaxing in a hot bubble bath. Talk about a most inconvenient time. I mean, who has a pen and paper in the tub? I know that I don't. That means I have to hop out of the tub, dry off, and hope I still remember the idea by the time I find a pen and paper. LOL. I have even had story ideas pop into my head in the middle of a dream. If only upon waking I would remember the entire idea. I have kept to keeping a composite book and pen around me at all times. 

So, after getting a story idea, I sit down and look through my book of ideas to see which one calls to me at the moment. Sometimes, I like to begin writing in a notebook and then transferring it to my laptop but here lately I have mostly been writing straight to my laptop. Most authors make outlines of their stories prior to writing the novel. I have a totally different writing process. When I sit down and begin to write, the story flows through my mind like a movie playing. I then simply write down what I see. I think it's pretty cool because I have no idea how the story will end until it plays. It's kind of funny because each day it only shows me so much of the story but that's good because one can only type so fast.

As I write, I like to have a couple of beta readers take a look at what I'm writing to make sure the story flows nicely. When the story finally comes to an end, it is time to walk away from it and start on something else. Usually, I take a day's break from writing and crochet or paint or do something else crafty. Okay, now it is time to go back to the finished novel. I let my computer read it out loud to me and I listen carefully. Doing it this way, I can quickly tell where typos are or something doesn't sound right and I fix all the errors I see. After that, I read the book as though I am a reader only I am proofreading the novel and fixing any errors. Seems like a lot of work so far, doesn't it? In all actuality it really is a lot of work.  Now, it is finally ready to be given to my editor. This is usually a really nervous time for me as it reminds me of back in high school when writing essays, teachers would markup your paper with red ink. While I await for the edited novel to be returned, I continue working on my next work in progress.

Okay, great! The edited novel has returned and I stare at the file, unopened of course, debating on whether or not I really want to open it. Whatever comments, changes, etc. the editor does I look at it to see if it sounds right or makes sense. Now, it is time to make all the changes in the actual document.  Okay, now, I put the edited and fixed novel aside and continue writing the new novel. After a couple of days, I go back to the other novel and read it from a reader's point of view. If I find any more errors, I fix them. Guess what? The book is now ready to become an ARC (advance reader copy) and is sent out to potential reviewers in hopes that reviews will be written and posted on the book's launch day. Two weeks later, the book is finally available for sale. Yay! You finally get to read the new book.

So, what do you think? A whole lot of work goes into writing a single book. This does not include all of the advertising you must do in the days to come. I bet this makes you appreciate a book all the more.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Still Alive....Still Free

Good day everyone. I know that I have not been on here lately to keep you updated. Things have been rather quiet and almost boring here la...